Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 August 2015

New project, new stitch!

I have been beavering away being quite inventive and creative lately. I have been asked to design a pattern but I have so many ideas I am not sure exactly where to begin!

Obviously the first thing to consider is the yarn. Different types of fibre and weight are good for different types of things. For example, I like cotton for things that need to hold a shape (flowers and decorations) as there is little give with it and it has a nice definite clear edge, no fuzziness.
Acrylic mixes tend to work well for baby blankets as they wash well and keep their softness and woollier yarns tend to be good for garments and shawls.
Of course most of the yarn I use is acrylic, it's cheap and the colours are limitless. The yarn I will be using in my new project is acrylic and in these wonderful colours!
 Ooh so lovely. So first things first I decided to just start crocheting and see what the yarn was like to work with, what kind of fabric it made and how the colour would work up.
This brings me to the title of this post, a new stitch! I was just randomly hooking up a flat circle but was getting annoyed by the gappiness of the usual 3 chain at the start of each row. I vaguely remembered reading about a way to avoid this a while ago by using a different stitch, so I took to Google to find out more.
Standing stitches! You basically create a treble stitch from the top down, ok it's not perfect but I am hoping with a bit of practice I get better at it and it is so much better than the usual chain 3 gaps.
It’s still early days with this project but I am super excited to be making it, I just hope it turns out well!
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment