Search This Blog

Thursday 22 May 2014

Tunisian Tote Ta-dah!

I have finally sewn the straps on to my bag and finished it! Hurrah! It has taken me a while to do, mainly due to all that dithering I talked about before. Sometimes you just need to take the plunge and get on with it and see what happens. I am very pleased that I did because I love the result, here you go:
I just LOVE it! It's so cheery and colourful and the fabric that Tunisian crochet makes is lovely and soft.

My main issues were how to attach the straps  and how to finish the top. I had considered turning over the top row of pinkish red squares and making a straight edge but thought it would be nice to get the full entrelac effect by leaving them zig-zagging. I quickly decided last night that a simple row of DCs across the top would do the job nicely and stop the curling of the Tunisian; it worked really well and the top is now all pointy:


To attach the straps I simply sewed them on to the inside of the bag but this was making them pull a bit and distorting the top of the bag - this might have been down to my inferior sewing abilities! I knocked up four little rectangles of DC to strengthen where I had joined the straps, sewed them on and the result is so much neater and holds the straps nicely in place:

 I have been asked for the pattern a few times all ready so I think I will try and write it up so I can share it with you all. It will be my first bash at writing a Tunisian pattern, luckily it is a simple one so I hope not to have too many issues with it. I will of course let you know when it is available.

Ah I do love finishing a project! This bag will be well used I am sure, just the right size to carry around medium sized WIPs and a few balls of yarn :)

XXXX

6 comments:

  1. Super! Would love to try the pattern when you have written it up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous Abi. Astonishingly good for your first ever attempt at this type of crochet, I'm sure even an expert at it couldn't have done better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, that is very kind of you to say x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous Abi. I love the top of it, so much better than folding it down. The handles work really well. I'm going to have a go at this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE this! Abi, you're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am very proud of this bag :)

      Delete